Ground was broken for the Methodist church on June 26th, 1901 and the cornerstone was laid on October 17th of that year. The first service was held on October 5th 1902. During the mid 1940's-50's, the main sanctuary was completely remodeled to feature hand carved walnut, marble floor, new stained glass windows and the impressive 55 Rank Moller organ. The unusual monochrome stained glass windows were added to the Western Sanctuary in the 1960's.
Three of the wealthiest and most influential business leaders of St. Louis at the end of the 19th into the 20th century were members of this Methodist Church. This church was particularly active in other countries as well. Three foreign churches were formed out of this church. One is located in China, one in Brazil and one in Japan.
Methodist Church chose to stay located in Saint Louis, despite the mass-exodus of many of its neighbors west starting in the 1960's. This church managed to remain active for just over 100 years before dissolving in the late 00's. It has been vacant ever since.